Saturday, February 5, 2011

...I have a responsibility


I am my brother's keeper.

When Cain cried to the Lord, "Am I my brother's keeper?" that "hands off" approach was frowned upon by the Lord. We have a responsibility to help, teach and support others. In 3 Nephi 15:22, Christ teaches the people in America, "...the Gentiles should be converted through their preaching." "Their" is referring to Christ's disciples...aka those who study, learn and believe in Christ. "Converted" in this context refers to believing in Christ and learning of Him.

I believe too often we keep our beliefs private, in fear that we will be mocked. We don't want to be our brother's keeper because we don't want to be pushy or seem "preachy." But honestly, I have found people are pretty accepting of differing beliefs. The beauty of America is our society is so different that it's not unusual to come across many beliefs. It does take courage to state belief, especially when that belief goes against the "norm" of society. But when others see that courage, they respect it and respect you and are willing to listen out of that respect. So share what you believe, share what you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment