Thursday, February 3, 2011

...how to bear my burdens


Sometimes my burdens are too heavy to carry.

This morning I read 3 Nephi 11-12. As it accounts Christ's appearing to the people in America, I wondered, if I was long awaited by someone, what would I say when I arrived? Well, Christ taught, as He always did, about the way to eternal life. He taught baptism, obedience and repentance. But something caught my eye. I had circled the words, "keep my commandments" followed by "deny...take up your cross" (verses 20 and 30).

Christ gives the people the higher law, replaces "thou shalt not kill" with, "don't be angry with thy brother" etc., and after presenting the higher law, counsels the people to:

"...deny yourselves of these things wherein ye will take up your cross."

I have personal battles and burdens. I find myself repenting of the same things over and over, promising to not do it again, only to find myself on my knees the next night asking forgiveness for the same mistake. As I read that verse, the image of taking up my cross, coming from the Savior who literally carried His cross upon which He was crucified, struck me. I can't do it alone but Christ showed He could. Christ literally carried a cross. I have my sins which are heavy, but I'm not alone to carry them. If I turn my burden over to Him, then will my burdens be made light, not gone, but light as He shares the load and helps me through.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
-Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment